Monday, April 4, 2011

Writing and Bathroom Sinks

Writing isn't always easy. Sometimes, it can be downright frustrating. We know what we want to say, but no matter how hard we try, the words just won't come out right.

I was there a few weeks ago, stuck in a section that would not cooperate. Day after day I sat on my couch staring at my MS. I tapped my (pink) pen against the paper in a frenetic rhythm, hoping that somehow it would all come together.

Writing wasn't the only thing not going well that week. The water pressure in my bathroom sink had slowed to a trickle. I messed with the screens, soaked it in vinegar, and finally resorted to pounding away at the faucet itself, as if I could physically force the water to come out faster.

I was somewhere in mid-pound when I realized how similar my two problems were. If pounding didn't help the sink, why did I think my mad pen-tapping would help the story? I needed to take the lid off the pen and actually write.

I blogged about that here. Yep, that was the week of the green pen. I stopped stalling and just wrote. As for the sink... well... Does anyone have the number of a good plumber?