Thursday, August 25, 2011

Funny Thing About Goals...

NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day, 6/12/05


I'm sure you've heard the clichés: "Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."  "If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Classic sayings, designed to get us off our duff and out there trying new things.


I'm hear to tell you, they work. Last month I set the goal of accomplishing a few of the FiNancy tasks on my 101 list. I... didn't accomplish any of them, I don't think.


However! I am pleased to announce that by midnight tomorrow, I will finish my pre-critique draft. Until I get notes back from my readers, I am done. Finito. At an end. And boy, does that feel good!


I'm also starting to look forward to the goals I'd like to reach with my published novel--sales levels, ways I want to use that money, things along those lines. I don't have anything concrete yet, but those are the thoughts going through my mind.


So if I seem insanely driven, this is why. I constantly have a list of goals hanging in front of me, and I know that if I don't keep moving, I won't accomplish any of them.


Which brings me to the obvious question: What goals have you set for yourself? When do you want to finish your current progress? What kind of success would you like to see? Separate your dreams out into ones that are small and accomplishable in the short term, dreams that will take a bit more work and luck, and the shoot-for-the-moon type dreams.


You can do it!