Thursday, June 2, 2011

Need a Motivational Mantra?

I've got one: Done is better than fun. I shamelessly stole this from Erin Blakemore, author of The Heroine's Bookshelf. Even if it is stolen, I think it's excellent advice.

I've blogged more than once about my attempts to focus and get actual work done. I tried the Cone of Silence, I tried balancing my schedule so I didn't feel overworked, I tried avoiding the computer so I wouldn't be stopped by pain. None of it really worked, and here's why. I kept putting off editing in favor of fun.

Now, before you jump on my case and tell me I shouldn't be writing if I don't love it, notice I said editing. I do love to write, but if you find someone who says they love to edit, I will say you found a liar. It's certainly rewarding to see your raw story transformed into something fit for human consumption, but it is not fun.

But here's the thing: The only way I can publish this book in November is if I buckle down now and do the work. That won't happen if I watch a movie, or read a book, or check in with my Twitter friends. Done is better than fun.

I've been trying this for a few weeks now, and it seems to be working. At least, it doesn't seem to have slowed me down any. I need to finish this draft by June 15th--that's less than two weeks away. Repeat with me, friends: Done is better than fun!