Tuesday, January 31, 2012

When Does It Feel Real?


Being an author is a strange thing, sometimes. You dream about it and work toward it for so long, when it finally happens it seems like something out of a dream. I've had several, "Wow, this is real!" moments in the last two months, and each one is just as special as the one before.

First sight of your book available for sale:  Smashwords, 11/16.
First review: Jessica Melendez for Indie Jane, 11/18
First surprise review: Love Letters to the Library, 11/23
First time holding the paperback: 11/30

Despite all those things, and the way sales have just taken off, the reality of my new life is still sinking in. I got another reminder on Thursday--first royalties payment! But even with that in my pocket, the awe hasn't worn off. I'm living the life I always dreamed of, and it's just as amazing as I thought it would be.

Yesterday, I blogged at Indie Jane about some of the lessons I've learned since publishing His Good Opinion. I felt a little strange writing something like that after only 75 days, but so much has changed and I've learned so much, I wanted to share it all before I forgot.

If you're a published author, when did it become real to you?
If you're still working toward publication, keep it up--it's absolutely worth it.

His Good Opinion can be purchased in e-book format from AmazonBarnes and NobleSmashwordsAmazon UKAmazon DEAmazon FRAmazon.IT, andAmazon.ES. The paperback is available from Amazon.